CONOR MCGREGOR’S showdown with Khabib Nurmagomedov has been confirmed for October 6 as the main event at UFC 229.
MMA kingpin Dana White revealed the lightweight war was finally agreed on Friday after teasing a crowd at a press conference neither champion or challenger attended.
Conor McGregor vs Khabib Nurmagomedov is done
White said: “They are not here, there was talk and speculation.
“That fight needs to be made.
It’s a fight that I feel we will get done.
“The fight is done, baby, October 6 Las Vegas!”
Instagram @thenotoriousmma Conor McGregor expects to make his UFC return this year
Instagram @thenotoriousmma Conor McGregor rides around New York city in video posted to Instagram
Instagram @thenotoriousmma Conor McGregor gives a shout out to Irishmen all over the world
Irish solicitor Graham Kenny uploaded a screenshot of a plane ticket to Sin City for October 5, with a return date to London Gatwick on October 10, along with the caption “It’s on”.
The Instagram Live clip has since vanished but fans believed it was confirmation that the two-weight world champ is back in the octagon in two months.
McGregor has not fought since his boxing loss to Floyd Mayweather in August last year – and his last MMA match was in November 2016.
Instagram @grahampkenny Conor McGregor and solicitor Graham Kelly train together
Instagram @grahampkenny Kelly posted this flight ticket to Las Vegas on his Instagram profile
When asked how far away his return was, McGregor told TMZ: “Yes, very close. It’s not official but close. [In 2018] I believe.”
McGregor, 30, pleaded guilty to charges over his April attack on Nurmagomedov’s bus in New York and must now take anger management classes as well as perform community service.
Moments after the incident, UFC boss Dana White called the attack “the most disgusting thing that has ever happened in the history of the company”.
However, McGregor’s pulling power and mainstream appeal mean the £4billion company cannot afford to axe their golden goose.
Khabib Nurmagomedov ‘I want to change Conor McGregor’s face and mind’
Instagram @thenotoriousmma Conor McGregor is aiming at a fight with Khabib Nurmagomedov this year
Getty – Contributor Conor McGregor’s return is set to be against fierce rival Khabib Nurmagomedov
And Las Vegas will host his big comeback.
McGregor said: “I love New York city and I’d love to fight in Madison Square Garden again, but I believe this one will be Las Vegas.”
Lightweight champ Nurmagomedov, 29, won the belt in April after McGregor was stripped of it for inactivity.
And the Russia not only intends to hold on to it against the Dubliner, but teach him a lesson too.